Grand Hôtel Kurhaus, Arolla, Valais, Switzerland
spacer
 
Francais
Deutsch
 
Réservation en ligne
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
More Information
 
Hotel's History
Contact
New!
Technical Info
Job Opportunities
 
Arolla Website

Le temps à Arolla (VP2) le
20171212 à 11:26
Temperature : -4.7 C
Pression : 1007.3
Tendance : +
Météo Arolla

March 26, 2017

Patrouille des Aiguilles Rouges

On the Tracks of the Smugglers, no english translation!

CollonTrek

A member of :

Swiss Historic Hotels

Reservation / Quote Request form

Grand Hotel Kurhaus
CH 1986 AROLLA
Phone:
+41 (0)27 283 70 00
Fax:
+ 41 (0)27 283 70 05
eMail :


GPS

N 46.02405
E 7.47918
Or type "Kurhaus Arolla"

Interactive Map
[map.search.ch] map.search.ch

Dogs and other pets are welcome!

Pixie

Referenced by le Petit Futé!

Petit Futé

Referenced by the Guide du Routard!

Le Guide du Routard










Few Souvenirs of the early years of the Kurhaus Hotel in Arolla (Valais/Switzerland)

Honorine Gaspoz (born Spahr).
Jean-Baptiste Gaspoz.



Hotel History

1860 Building of the Dent Blanche Hotel in Evolène.
1875 Jean-Baptiste Gaspoz  buys the ground of the future Alpage d’Arolla.
1896 The construction of the Grand Hôtel & Kurhaus is complete, the area of the property is 10’843 m2.
1896 In the beginning the hotel is managed by Honorine and her brother Adrien Spahr, 
it is then taken over by Anna Gaspoz and her husband Henri Spahr, 
and later by their daughter Georgette and her husband Stanislas de Lavallaz-Spahr.
1917 Honorine death.
1930 Georgette and Stanislas de Lavallaz-Spahr manage the hotel.
1960 When Stanislas dies, Mona and George Weatherill continue.
1968 First winter opening. Teleskis were built in Arolla the year before.
2006 The hotel is now managed by Peter Weatherill.

 

Architecture / building steps.

1913 Henri Spahr obtains a concession to capture the water of the de Zigiore Nove torrent. He builds an electric power plant near the hotel.
1930 Construction of the North wing of the hotel.
1966 The central heating is installed in the hotel, fifteen room are added a bath room and twenty rooms are built on the third and fourth floors.
1968 First winter opening.
1970 Building of the large congress room.
1979 The hotel is completely refurbished. Concrete floors are built between floors and all the rooms have a bathroom.
1993 Renewing of the roof, the heating system and outside walls.


Some of the famous people who stayed in the hotel.

Joséphine Baker Singer and dancer with a banana belt but also known for her fight in favor of the Civil Rights and Liberty, stayed at the hotel with all her children in 1968. Despite an electric power failure she participated in the Christmas festivities.
Emear Quinn Irish singer who won the Eurovision in 1996 with the song "The voice", stayed at the hotel in 2006.




Historic Tours. In Summer, every wednesday at 18.00, free historic visit : discovery of the hotel managed by four generations of the same family. The long history of the building is noticeable. Many fun stories on the program...


Ancienne publicite

Ancienne etiquette a bagages
Ancienne publicite